Vegan Orange and Chocolate Cookies


During a quick run to Jewel to get condensed milk for the rice pudding my mom was making that evening for a class she tutors in (though she ended up not taking it!), my brother and I found some chocolate chip cookies we could enjoy ourselves. After all, that day was national chocolate chip cookie day (so that definitely excuses our indulgence, right?!) and we had to partake in such a holiday! Organic, dairy-free ones were bought, and that got me thinking about how much better it would be to make them at home. Enter this: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe from a site called Daily Rebecca.


Because I didn't have chocolate chips or vanilla extract - I know, fail on my part - and my brother is allergic to almonds (so goodbye almond milk), I made some alterations of my own.

Replaced vanilla extract for orange extract. Added unsweetened chocolate powder to the mixture. Reduced the amount of sugar by half (so only 1/2 a cup of brown sugar was used) (we're trying to reduce our sugar intake) and added half a table spoon of honey.

They were a bit crumbly, but I think they were delicious! The orange and chocolate powder were an excellent mix, and they smelled divine! The use of coconut milk did not really affect the taste of the cookies.