Ventures Into the Kitchen--Making Sushi

As the title says, I made sushi today! Thanks to the lady at Cooking With Dog (if you haven't checked it out yet, I highly recommend it! Very entertaining and useful) I found a nice recipe. I even made a rice ball with the small amount of rice I had left over.



These were bought at the Fresh Farms supermarket, which I have determined is my favorite place for finding European foods and baked goods (their poppy seed roll is the best I have had). They're eggplant rolls, with mayo. Very tasty. Though keep in mind that eggplant can be a bit spicy.



The rolls with the rice on the outside had avocado, smoked salmon, and cucumber (you might find that cucumber is a refreshing and delicious ingredient in sushi). Other roll (with nori outside) had avocado, cucumber, and herring. I didn't have any tuna, crab, or shrimp, since it was rather impromptu. However, these ingredients were enough to make some delicious sushi.

The recipe from Cooking With Dog has a specific preparation for the rice. My rice browned a bit at the bottom, because the rice cooker that I have is not specifically a rice cooker (it's one of those "do everything" crockpots). But either way, make sure to use sushi rice, which is the small rice. Long grain won't provide the necessary stickiness. Also, when making the sushi vinegar--which is a mixture of vinegar, salt, and sugar--you might get the impression that it's going to make the rice taste bad, or that it's going to be too strong. Fear not! It's going to be fine. Simply mix your rice properly to spread it out evenly. Just follow the steps from the video or from a desired recipe, and it'll be fine!

Definitely a fun way of changing up your routine and food.