Review - How I Live Now


How I Live Now is a book written by Meg Rosoff, and was made into a feature film which came out last year. Well, just yesterday I discovered it in Netflix's instant play on the "Popular on Netflix" and I just had to watch it. And let me just tell you, I absolutely loved the film.
The style of the movie - cinematography, musical score, and especially scenery - was beautifully done, and the actors did such a great job portraying their characters. None of it was overdone in the style of many modern films, and the love story between Daisy and Eddie is never (in my opinion, anyway) cliche.

What I also loved about the film was the way they portrayed war. A lot of the times movies about war are extremely glamorized and there are bombings and shootings, and there's heroes killing people and whatnot. And even when a character dies, it's always "awesome" and highly glorified. But the reality of war is definitely not that. It affects the lives of more innocent people than not, and people who are dealing with their everyday lives are forced to deal with something so horrible - as the characters from this story are forced to.


I would recommend the movie to anyone, but I do warn you: it's a bit sad. Hours after watching it I couldn't help but be a bit melancholic. And even today the movie was still in my mind. It's a movie worth watching, beautifully filmed, and amazing acting performances. I might pick up the book sometime and give that a go.