To Far Off Places

"I dreamed of getting in my car and driving off. I can't quite say where it was that I was going, but I knew that it had to be somewhere beyond that horizon. I didn't want to be known where I was going. All I wanted was to free myself from the shackles of my current existence and I wanted to be engulfed by the warmth and quietness of the universe. I wanted to be there, where the trees were growing; where very Earth was moving--shifting.



There is nothing but sun and warmth in this dream of mine, and all the world appears to have been consumed by the stillness, and instead of the rush and chaos that is humanity, we stood still...and we listened. I am convinced that in that instant, all was well in the universe. I became consumed with utter happiness and wondered how I ever managed to live my life in any other way. Everything else seemed irrelevant, and as the sun rose I felt an unimaginable sense of fulfillment. There were no deadlines, no headaches, no breaking news; nothing mattered but this moment.

Waking from such bliss is excruciatingly painful. And when I did just that--in the middle of the night, in total darkness--I felt empty. A hollowness so extreme that I cried. Curled on my bed, I clung to myself and to the fragments of my dream.

Soon the alarm would go off. There were meetings to attend, deadlines to be met. So after wiping my eyes and relocating my muscles to their familiar discomfort, I shifted--slowly--back into reality. And I went off, with only the consolation that the next sleep would bring about such wonderful fantasy."